I don’t know about you, but I don’t like running to the doctor for every ‘ol sniffle.
As a matter of fact, I haven’t been really sick in a couple years (not always a good thing), but with the insanely strange weather we’ve been having here in West Virginia, it seems like everyone is catching some kind of cold or flu.
My husband has had a little cold for about a week now, and after taking care of him, I think it’s doing its best to plague me next. I am always proactive and preventative, but, sometimes, your immune system just can’t take care of it all…so extra prevention and support is valuable. I’m not feeling dreadful, but my energy levels are abnormally low and I can just feel it throughout my body.
In steps my 5 favorite holistic cold and flu prevention/remedies.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Yes, the infamous, Apple Cider Vinegar. It’s amazing for SO many things!
Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits:
- Aids the Body to Better Digest Food, especially proteins, when Taken Before a Meal.
- Liver and Lymphatic Detoxification
- Probiotic Boost for Colon Care and Immunity
In the instance of cold/flu, I find if you take it when you first feel that tickle in your throat or decrease in energy, it can prohibit the progression of the illness or shorten its duration.
- Try diluting 1 Tablespoon of ACV in Water (add a dash of lemon juice for a little taste and extra healing benefits) and take it back like a shot. I will often repeat this every few hours if I feel the need. Use your own discretion, as always.
2. Essential Oils
Ahhh, one of my favorite ways to prevent and remedy being sick!
I feel like I’ve been bathing in oils lately, but hey, at least I smell good 😉
Here are the 3 I haven’t gone without the past week:
- OnGuard (Protective Blend): 1 Drop, Diluted, on the Bottoms of Each Foot: AM and PM
- Breathe (Respiratory Blend): 2-3 Drops in Diffuser at Night (or while Cuddled in Bed Resting)
- Frankincense (The Queen of All Oils ): 1 Drop, Diluted, on the Bottoms of Each Foot: AM and PM
- Lavender (My Cost-Effective Favorite for All-The-Things): 1 Drop, Diluted, on the Bottoms of Each Foot: PM (Can also be used in a Bath for Calming and Relaxing Affects)
This product is my holy grail. I never travel without it and I’m often teased by loved ones for how much I love this stuff! I read an article once, when first researching Oreganol, that if you were to be lost alone in the wilderness, trying to survive, oil of oregano would be the one thing you’d want to have. It’s like magic to me!
How I Use It:
- I’ve Been Exposed to Someone Who Was Sick: 1 drop under tongue AM and PM
- Feel Something Coming On: 2 Drops under tongue AM and PM
- Sick: 1-2 Drops under tongue every 1-2 hours
WARNING: This beauty is HOT. Yes, very hot. But! I have a specific way to take it that makes it almost undetectable if executed properly.
- Here’s what I do: Have a glass of water ready, drop drops under my tongue, keep tongue elevated and let drops sit until I can feel a slight warmth, take large drink of water, swish back, immediately follow up with more water. I have also gargled with the oil and water for a sore throat and it worked like a charm.
Oreganol should not be used for an extended period of time.
Also, I’ve read that this may not be safe during pregnancy. I have never been pregnant, so I’m not always hip and up-to-date on supplements safe during pregnancy, so as with everything, always consult your doctor and/or do your research.
As always, use your own discretion. I’m just telling you what approach has worked for me in the past.
4. Bone Broth
Bone Broth is just good for everything, okay.
Bone Broth Benefits:
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Gut Health
- Immune Boosting Levels of Glutathione
- Doesn’t Require Much Energy to Digest (Your fighting body will thank you for this)
I like to keep a batch of frozen broth in my freezer for times when I’m feeling less than 100%. It’s a fantastic way to quickly and easily get healing nutrients into the body.
I also like to add things like turmeric, garlic, onion, and vegetables to my broth for added healing benefits. Drink as much as you want whenever you want.
Simple as that. Rest! Depending on how icky you feel will depend upon how much rest you need. For example, yesterday, I should have gotten a lot more work done than I did but resting was more important. I spent a lot of yesterday sitting in the sunshine (Vitamin D), napping, and relaxing. Take breaks when you need and maybe even soak in a wonderful epsom salt bath if you’re able to. If you’re feeling up to it, a light workout or a nice yoga session would also be fantastic to get the lymphatic system moving and some toxins out.
Rest will be your body’s BFF while recovering.
I can’t leave this list without a few other products that may work for you. After working at a health food store for over 3 years, these products are continually sought after and repurchased:
- Goldenseal (Not to Be Used for an Extended Period of Time)
- Sovereign Silver
Well, friends, I hope if you ever find yourself in the unfortunate event of needing some of these remedies, they work beautifully for you.
And, as always, a properly prepared, nutrient dense diet is the #1 Prevention to illness.
Any questions, comments, concerns, or interest in Nutritional Therapy, feel free to contact me: email@example.com.
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed!
Disclaimer: None of this information is intended to diagnose or treat any type of illness or disease. Always consult with your physician before making any decisions regarding your health.
Some of these links may be affiliate links where I receive a percentage of the sale. The income from associate links helps to continue my blogging and business efforts. Thank you for supporting me.
Most images included in my blogs are taken, edited, and owned by me. They are not to be used elsewhere without proper permission.